Every New Year most of us make promises and if this year your promise is to study a foreign language how to keep it? Here are some tips.
- Make specific goals and schedule them: When do I start? How many days per week? Until summer or throughout the year? Make your new goals a priority.
- Share these goals with family or friends. It takes some personal courage to share something you may not achieve, but social support is critical.
- Join a group. The social atmosphere always helps and it doesn’t have to be a study group, you can find for example a Facebook group for language learners.
- Make it pleasant. Language learning doesn’t mean that you just have to sit hours at your desk memorizing words. Do something fun like watch a movie or listen to music in that language or download a mobile app.
- Measure progress. Reflect on where you started and where you are, this will motivate you.
- Be patient. No one learns a language in a month. And remember that progress is never linear.
- Something is better than nothing. If you don’t have time to study 5 days a week you can study just one hour twice a week. Psychologist Paul Marciano says, “Any effort towards your goal is better than no effort.”